Senior Communications Advisor Summary
|Title:||Senior Communications Advisor|
|Job Status:||Full Time|
SEIU Healthcare IL IN MO KS is a dynamic, action-oriented union representing 95,000 healthcare and child care workers throughout Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and Kansas. We believe in a society defined by freedom and justice, where we can all have quality education, health care and jobs, and where we all can live a full and plentiful life of our choosing. SEIU HCIIMK’s mission is to organize together to build power and demand and win social and economic justice for our communities.
This position provides a unique opportunity to join a talented, growing team committed to racial, social and economic justice and advancing the issues that affect working people like supporting essential workers, equitable COVID-19 recovery, quality healthcare, inequality and more. This position requires a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in strategic communications, media relations and campaigns.
Location: Chicago, IL
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Communications Advisor performs a wide range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the overall program. The duties and responsibilities include:
Strategic Communications Support
- Collaborate with other staff to develop and execute communications strategies to build membership and advance campaigns.
- Work with union leadership to craft and publicize strategic messages.
- Write, edit and produce original content including; statements, press releases, opinion pieces.
- Collaborate with other communications staff to develop messaging and framing and media strategy; to conduct media outreach; and to staff media and public events.
- Staff union leadership for public events and media interviews.
Online Communications & New Media
- Utilize online tools to communicate with members, general public and elected officials about the Local’s positions and work.
- Identify opportunities to use online media to build membership, educate the public and/or elected officials, and advance campaigns.
- Support the union leadership online including but not limited to Twitter and Facebook
Other duties as needed.
Scope and Nature of Supervision:
The Strategic Communications Advisor must be able to work both independently and collaboratively on assigned projects and meet established deadlines including working with union members and union staff and leadership.
May be required to work long and irregular hours, and to work on weekends and holidays when necessary.
Key Qualifications Criteria:
- This position requires a minimum 3-5 years of experience in strategic communications, media relations and campaigns.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to understand and tailor messages to an audience.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and deliver on short-term and long-term communications strategy goals.
- Successful candidate shall possess relevant education and/or experience in communications and political, labor or community campaigns.
- Strong news sense and knowledge of the media.
- Experience with media relations, particularly in Illinois and/or with political reporters.
- Working knowledge and understanding of labor, political and community issues impacting working people.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with a team to meet group objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree or experience in a communications-related field.
- Familiarity with social media.
- Familiarity with and interest in local, state, and national politics and a commitment and passion for progressive politics.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills appropriate to working closely with members and staff, including the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Good and ethical judgment.
- Willingness to take initiative, to work with a team.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Company-paid Benefits are included.
SEIU Healthcare Illinois & Indiana is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and women are encouraged to apply.